Bachelor of Arts in Pre-Law Studies
The Bachelor of Arts in Pre-Law Studies program provides students with the well-rounded education needed for admission to law schools. In the pre-law degree program, emphasis is placed on the verbal, critical-thinking, and analytical skills that are considered vital for success as a law student and as a member of the legal profession. This major also allows students interested in a career in business or government to gain an understanding of the complex legal issues they will face in their professions.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop legal and critical thinking skills in judicial issues.
- Describe, analyze, and anticipate legal issues in a business environment.
- Analyze contemporary legal issues in the state, federal, and administrative law forums
- Analyze issues by application of relevant rules of law, ethical standards, and social mores.
- Develop concise legal arguments.
- Demonstrate written, oral communication, and presentation skills used in pre-law.
- Describe need for effective planning in preparation for the negotiation process.
To earn a Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Pre-Law Studies, students must complete at least 180 quarter units as articulated below, 45 of which must be completed in residence at National University, 76.5 of which must be completed at the upper-division level, and minimum of 70.5 units of the University General Education requirements. In the absence of transfer credit, additional general electives may be necessary to satisfy total units for the degree. The following courses are specific degree requirements. Students should refer to the section on undergraduate admission procedures for specific information on admission and evaluation. All students receiving an undergraduate degree in Nevada are required by State Law to complete a course in Nevada Constitution.
- ENG 100 Effective College English I
- ENG 101 Effective College English II
- SOC 100 Principles of Sociology
- PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology
- POL 201 American Politics
- PHL 100 Introduction to Philosophy
- LAW 200 Intro to Law & Legal Writing
- LAW 400 Current Legal Issues
- LAW 304 Legal Aspects of Business I
- LAW 305 Legal Aspects of Business II
- LAW 310 Litigation
- LAW 402 The Art of Negotiation
- ADR 405 Negotiation Fundamentals
- LAW 405 Analytical Reasoning
- LAW 408 Legal Writing Research and Ora
- LAW 420 Advocacy
- LAW 470 Pre-Law Senior Project
- ADR 400 Alternative Dispute Resolution
- LAW 430 Constitutional Law
- LAW 440 Comparative International Law
- LAW 445 Administrative Law for Busines
- LAW 455 Public Contracting
- LAW 460 Law School Portfolio Project
- ADR 410 Facilitation Fundamentals
- ADR 415 Mediation Fundamentals
- ADR 420 Communication & Conflict
- ADR 425 Issues in Conflict Management
- ADR 430 Ethics and Neutrality
- CJA 464 Constitutional Law for CJ
- SOC 445 Contemporary Social Problems
- PHL 337 Ethics