Learn to write compelling, well-structured stories with memorable characters and prepare for a career in film, TV, and media — without moving to Hollywood. The Master of Fine Arts in Professional Screenwriting includes year-round enrollment in three immersive areas of study: screenwriting, television writing, and transmedia (graphic novels, web entertainment, comics, etc.).
The MFA Screenwriting online and LA-based program prepares you to work in fields like commercial, industrial or independent film, TV and transmedia writing or development, digital entertainment media and communication, and educational or instructional media programs. You’ll complete the program with a minimum of two feature-length screenplays, teleplays or transmedia projects, along with a compelling aesthetic statement and a marketing plan and pitch.
You’ll gain the knowledge and skills needed to write professional-level scripts, to participate in the ongoing scholarly and critical discussions of issues in the field of film, TV and transmedia writing, and to present your work to the entertainment industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Differentiate critical points of view in the analyses and interpretation of films, television shows, screenplays, and other entertainment content.
- Using films, television programs, and transmedia IPs analyze the principles of writing in these varied media.
- Demonstrate critical reflection and viewpoint in evaluating the work of peers and others.
- Generate original and/or adapted narrative screenplays, TV scripts, or transmedia IPs employing the principles of these respective disciplines through various stages from introductory level to mastery.
- Articulate a critical understanding of self in relation to creativity and the influence of cultural and societal issues.
- Analyze and/or design and generate a marketing plan/pitch using the principles of entertainment industry marketing.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies