MDC683P Production Practicum
The studio practicum taken during the Digital Cinema MFA production residency. Taken concurrently with MDC 688 and 689, students apply industry practices to develop and execute a professional production plan. Covers production meetings, practical demonstrations, on set performance in a department leadership role, response to Executive Producer editorial notes, meeting postproduction distribution requirements and delivering a production wrap book. Practical assignments receive individual and peer-group critiques.
- Communicate the production and post-production requirements in a variety of situations to the production crew through such production documents as storyboards, shooting scripts, shot lists, blocking diagrams and lighting plans.
- Collaborate on the production and post-production of a short motion picture.
- Generate a production schedule, staffing and logistical requirements for a scripted short digital motion picture.
- Utilize the appropriate preproduction documents to coordinate the production and postproduction of a short motion picture.
- Critique production dailies and a variety of editorial cuts in relation to the application of cinematic concepts and technical principles of the cinematic crafts -- cinematography, directing, sound design and editing -- and their effective contribution to the story.
- Evaluate the organizational contributions of the director, associate producer, director of photography, assistant director, production designer, and gaffer on the preproduction and production phases of filmmaking