Teddy T. - Class of 2021, Military Veteran

Veterans Affairs FAQ

Teddy T. - Class of 2021, Military Veteran

How do you know which GI Bill® you’re eligible for?

You determine your eligibility by viewing the page titled “GI Bill Forms”.

Who do I contact if I have a question regarding my eligibility?

You should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.

Where can I get information on the V.A. Education Benefit Programs?

This information is available at the Official Web Site of the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Service at www.gibill.va.gov.

How and when can I verify my enrollment?

Enrollment verification can be done 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 1-877-823-2378. You are able to do this on the last day of the month. If you choose this you do not need to mail in your Monthly Certification form.

How can I speed up the processing of my Monthly Verification of Enrollment, VA Form 22-8979?

There are two ways to do this.

  • Telephone system using Interactive Voice Response (IVR).

    Just dial 1-877-823-2378 and follow the instructions provided.

    This service is available in all states.

  • Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE). Go to http://www.gibill.va.gov/ and follow the link to the WAVE program. Instructions are provided on-line and this service is available worldwide.Whichever system you use, once the system tells you that you’re certified you don’t need to return the Student Verification of Enrollment.

What are the benefits of using the IVR or WAVE systems?

You have 24 hour per day access without speaking to a case manager. There are no forms that need mailing that may get lost; you can certify beginning the last day of the month; and, best of all, your education benefit check is issued faster.

What is Top-Up?

In addition to Tuition Assistance, the legislation revised Chapter 30 to permit VA to issue payment to an individual for all or any portion of the difference between the Tuition Assistance amount paid by the military component and the total cost of tuition and related charges. This provision is Tuition Assistance Top-up (TAT). TAT is available only to persons eligible for chapter 30. Although Reserve and National Guard components also offer Tuition Assistance, there is no Top-up provision for chapter 1606 recipients. A person who is eligible to receive chapter 30 who is receiving Tuition Assistance from a Reserve or National Guard component, is eligible for TAT. Only Federal Tuition Assistance paid by National Guard components qualifies for TAT.

Tuition Assistance Top-up is not additional Tuition Assistance. It is a Chapter 30 benefit. The Top-up payment is made to the individual claimant, not to the training facility. It is made in one lump-sum payment.

Who do I need to contact if any of my personal information changes? Personal information includes:

  • Class drops, withdraws, or reschedules
  • Any changes in name, home address, phone, e-mail or work phone
  • Date of matriculation
  • Changes in programs; or concurrent enrollment in another school

You need to notify National University’s VA Office as well as the VA Western Region Office in Muskogee, Ok.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.