Focuses on the trial process in civil litigation, with a discussion of the law of evidence. Includes a review of civil procedure before trial. Students examine the role of the paralegal at trial, analyze the use of testimony by expert witnesses, and discuss the practical problems associated with the use of documentary evidence at trial. Covers settlement and negotiation strategies, trial briefs, motions in limine, and other related documents, and includes a brief overview of the law of judgments and the process of appeals.
- Compare key similarities and differences between civil procedure during trial in state and federal court.
- Describe the effective use of trial testimony, including lay and expert testimony.
- Analyze the practical issues regarding the use of documentary evidence at trial.
- Compare and contrast the key components of a trial brief.
- Explain the trial process.
- Describe the appeals process.
- Analyze ethical rules as they apply to paralegals in litigation during and after trial.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Professional Studies
“Our faculty members have years of experience in their fields. That practitioner insight brings their course material to life and gives students tools and expertise they can put into practice right away.”School of Professional Studies