Dr. Esmaeil Atashpaz-Gargari
Dr. Esmaeil Atashpaz-Gargari received his Ph.D. in Genomic Signal Processing from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Texas A&M University. He joined the Department of Engineering and Computing at National University in 2016 as an Assistant Professor and currently teaches courses in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Human-Computer Interaction. He has served National University and the Department of Engineering and Computing in multiple positions including being a member of Reseach Council, and the Chair of Faculty Scholarship Conference, member of Graduate Council, Undergraduate Council, Committee on Nominations and Elections, Department Assessment Committee and Department Academic Affairs Committee and Computer Science program Advisory Board.
The algorithms proposed by Dr. Gargari for solving discrete and continues optimization problems has been used in different areas of science and engineering in a several thousand of projects in academia and industry to find the optimal solution and design where the gradient-based methods fail to address such problems. His work in the area of Evolutionary Computation has been used in thousands of graduate theses and referred to in over 3,000 published papers. His current research interests include Artificial Intelligence, Evolutionary Computation, Image Processing, Pattern Recognition, Error Estimation, and Proteomics.
Honors and Awards
- 2018, Proposing Imperialist Competitive Algorithm (ICA)
- 2014, 1st Place Poster Presentation
- 2007, Electrical Engineering Distinguished Student
- 2005, Ranked 23/16,000 in Iran's National University Ent
- 2005, Ranked 10th in the 10th National Scientific Olympi
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (2017). A fast Branch-and-Bound algorithm for U-curve feature selection.
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (2014). Modeling and systematic analysis of biomarker validation using selected reaction monitoring. URASIP Journal on Bioinformatics and Systems Biolo.
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (2012). Relationship between the accuracy of classifier error estimation and complexity of decision boundary.
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (2012). Identification and Analysis of the First 2009 Pandemic H1N1 Influenza Virus from U.S. Feral Swine. Zoonoses and Public Health.
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (2008). Solution Manual for Electrical Engineering National Entrance Examination Problems for Graduate Program. Pardazeshgaran Publication.
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (2007). MATLAB Programming for Engineers. Nopardazan publication.
- Atashpaz-Gargari, E.. (n.d.). Solving the integrated product mix-outsourcing problem using the Imperialist Competitive Algorithm. Expert Systems with Applications. 37(12): 7615-7626.