New hires are academic and professional leaders in their fields, and reflect University’s commitment to providing students with a quality education and market-relevant skills
Five new faculty members have joined the School of Business and Management at National University – the second-largest, private nonprofit university in California. They include a renowned business lawyer who once represented Converse Inc., a lieutenant colonel who taught at the Air Force Academy, an educator who brings global experience from Beijing to Germany, a former business owner with expertise in organizational leadership, and financial expert who is a leader in using technology in the classroom.
The five, who all hold doctorate degrees, have extensive experience in the professional workplace, reflecting the University’s emphasis on providing students with a combination of strong academic foundations and relevant, applicable workplace skills. National University’s School of Business and Management also integrates global perspectives into its programs, and just last month faculty presented research at international conferences in Italy, Japan and London.
“We are thrilled with all the new faculty who are joining the School of Business and Management,” said Dr. Steven Lorenzet, Dean of the School of Business and Management. Their breadth and depth of academic and professional expertise will make a significant impact on the quality of our programs and the learning experience of our students. Nothing is more important to a University than the quality of its faculty. It’s great to know we have been able to attract so much new talent to our School.”
The new professors who will begin teaching at National University this fall are:
– Dr. Jack Green is recognized as a highly effective domestic and international business lawyer, and he served as Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary for Converse Inc. for some 30 years. Dr. Green has served for the past 17 years as chairman of the Board of Directors at Arrow Mutual Liability Insurance Co. which is based in Chestnut Hill, Mass., and has taught as a guest lecturer at Harvard Law School, Princeton University, and Notre Dame, among others. Dr. Green earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and his Juris Doctor at the University of Michigan.
– Lt. Col. Timothy J. Pettit was the Deputy for Research and Consulting and Associate Professor for the Department of Management of the United States Air Force Academy. There, he taught undergraduate courses in Operations Management, Supply Chain Management and Operations Research. Dr. Pettit earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Iowa State University; his Master of Science Degree in Logistics Management from the Air Force Institute of Technology; and his Ph.D. in Business Administration from Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University.
– Dr. Alfred Lewis taught business and management courses at Beijing University, the Cologne Business School in Germany, and the Hanoi Business School in Vietnam. He comes to National University from the University of Liverpool, where he has served on the doctoral faculty since 2012. He earned his Doctor of Business Administration from United States International University (USIU), his Doctor of Management from the University of Maryland, his MBA at USIU, and his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration from International University in London.
– Dr. Steven Mitchell Walker taught as an instructor at Gonzaga University’s Department of Organizational Leadership and has also been teaching part time at National University since 2012. The former business owner has in the past served as a research analyst and homeless outreach director in Oregon. Dr. Walker earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration and Management from Portland State University, his Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership from Gonzaga University, and his Ph.D. in Leadership Studies from Gonzaga University.
– Dr. Michael S. Wilson is a leader in bringing technology to the classroom, and he has helped design and develop numerous online and hybrid courses. As an Associate Professor of Accounting at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul, Minnesota, Dr. Wilson has performed audits of nonprofit organizations. Dr. Wilson earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Accounting from St. Thomas University, his MBA at the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Management, and his Ph.D. in Human Resource Development from the University of Minnesota.
In addition to the new faculty, Associate Faculty Dr. Valerie Townsend Livesay has been hired as a fulltime professor at the National University School of Business and Management. Dr. Livesay earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Telecommunications from Indiana University. She earned her Master of Arts Degree in Nonprofit Leadership and Management and her Ph.D. in Leadership Studies from the University of San Diego.
National University’s School of Business and Management provides students with flexible access to relevant business education in order to enhance their opportunities as leaders in a global community. National University’s School of Business and Management includes the Center for Organizational Excellence; the Department of Accounting; the Department of Leadership and Human Resource Management; the Department of Management and Marketing; and the Department of Finance and Economics.
About National University
Founded in 1971, National University is the second-largest private, nonprofit institution of higher education in California. With 30,000 students and more than 140,000 alumni, National University is the flagship institution of the National University System. National University is dedicated to making lifelong learning opportunities accessible, challenging, and relevant to a diverse population of students. Five schools and one college – the College of Letters and Sciences; the School of Business and Management; the School of Education; the School of Engineering and Computing; the School of Health and Human Services; and the School of Professional Studies – offer more than 100 graduate and undergraduate degrees and 23 teacher credentials. Programs are offered at locations throughout California and across the nation, and are also available online. National University is headquartered in La Jolla, California.