A study of man’s relationship to the environment and the effects on it. Examines plant and animal community structure, renewable and nonrenewable resources and environmental degradation with emphasis on what is needed for a sustainable society.
- Discuss what humankind needs to do to attain a sustainable future.
- Understand and describe the hazards of current human population growth.
- Summarize the influence of modern human lifestyles on the ecosystems of earth (overpopulation, resource depletion, monoculture and pesticide, pollution of the atmosphere and streams, energy waste and mismanagement, deforestation, habitat destruction, and loss of biodiversity).
- Understand the human role in climate modification and interfering with the biogeochemical cycles.
- Describe chemical, biological and atomic pollution of air, soil and water by human activities.
- Develop environmental models, and human activities and lifestyles to reduce the destruction of our fragile ecosystems.
- Participate in environmentally sensitive activities that educate others or directly influence the quality of their local marine or terrestrial environments and the endemic or native species present.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences