Environmental Microbiology Lab
Laboratory techniques with regard to sampling, handling, and identifying microbes. Identification of microbes by various methods, including staining. Preparation of cultures, proper transfer and incubation protocols, and aseptic techniques. Selected characteristics of microbes, such as fermentation and culture growth, are studied. Environmental sampling for water, air, and solid matter samples.
- Demonstrate proper use of compound light microscope.
- Identify various kinds of prokaryotic microbes.
- Identify various kinds of eukaryotic microbes.
- Demonstrate proper conduct of staining protocols.
- Demonstrate proper protocols for preparing and handling microbe cultures.
- Incubate microbe cultures.
- Demonstrate proper aseptic techniques
- Design and conduct sampling for microbes in water.
- Design and conduct sampling for microbes in air.
- Design and conduct sampling for microbes in solid matter.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences