Ayurvedic medicine is an ancient healing system that is between 3,500 and 5,000 years old. Translated as the ‘science of life,’ Ayurveda believes that everything has specific elemental qualities as well as a specific constitution based on the relationship between three vital energies or doshas. This course will examine Ayurveda, including its origins, the role of doshas, the disease process, the importance of lifestyle regimens, and treatments of disease.
- Describe the origins of Ayurvedic medicine.
- Compare and contrast the three doshas, including the characteristics, the actions, and symptoms of aggravation.
- Explain agni and the role of ‘digestion’ in Ayurvedic health.
- Describe the philosophy of disease and the six steps in the disease process according to Ayurvedic medicine.
- Explain how diseases are manifested in the doshas.
- Describe the Ayurvedic method for balancing the doshas.
- Explain the role of diet and herbs in Ayurveda.
- Compare and contrast tonification and reduction therapies in Ayurveda.
- Describe Ayurvedic methods of maintaining wellness.
- Explain some of the Ayurveda causes and treatments for diseases of the digestive system and large intestine.
- Explain some of the Ayurveda causes and treatments for diseases of the respiratory, circulatory, nervous, and urinary system.
- Explain some of the Ayurveda causes and treatments for disorders of the reproductive system and various other systems as well as special considerations necessary when treating children and the elderly.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.