Nutrition and Fitness
Leading a healthy, balanced life is dependent on many variables. Two important variables include a nutritious diet and daily physical activity. There are many elements to consider when developing a nutritious diet and creating a lifestyle in which movement and activity are integral to our day. Understanding these elements helps us make informed choices about how we nourish our body, mind, and spirit.
- Identify the elements of a healthy diet and describe their role in nutrition.
- Compare and contrast the various types of diets.
- Examine the types of nutraceuticals and explain their role in a healthy diet.
- Explain the impact of modern nutritional issues such as toxins, irradiation, genetically engineered organisms, and food allergies on health.
- Examine conscious eating and explain the relationship between spirituality and nutrition.
- Explain the role of herbs and herbalism in nutrition and health.
- Identify basic types of exercise.
- Describe the physiological effects of movement and exercise.
- Describe the psychological effects of movement and exercise.
- Explain the philosophical basis and benefits of yoga.
- Explain the philosophical basis and benefits of T’ai Chi ch’uan and Qigong.
- Identify the important steps to initiating a safe and effective fitness program.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.