Intro to Complementary Healing
Introduction to complementary and healing practices and opportunities to explore these practices. The cultural context of healing traditions and specific practices such as Chinese medicine, energy healing, mind-body healing, healing environments, spirituality and healing, naturopathy, homeopathy, manual therapies, and integrative nutrition will be examined.
- Differentiate between allopathic and complementary and integrative health care.
- Describe the differences between spirituality and religion.
- Explain the role of honesty, gratitude, services, faith, attitudes, attention, and healing spirituality.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and implications of mind-body modalities, including relaxation, meditation, hypnosis, biofeedback, and imagery.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and implications of manual therapies, including osteopathic medicine, chiropractic, massage, energy work, therapeutic touch, and other forms of bodywork.
- Discuss the elements of a basic diet and a therapeutic diet.
- Discuss the common themes of herbalism.
- Describe issues related to the use of herbs, antioxidants, and phytonutrients in integrative medicine.
- Describe the elements and implications of energy healing.
- Describe the elements and implications of Chinese medicine, including acupuncture, moxibustion, cupping and Qi cultivation.
- Describe the benefits of humor and ways to cultivate humor.
- Explain the elements and implications of Ayurvedic medicine, including the theoretical foundations, therapeutics, and pharmaceutics.
- Describe the theoretical basis and methodology of homeopathy.
- Describe the theoretical basis and methodology of naturopathy.
- Describe the key elements of healing environments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements and implications of holistic stress management, including health assessment, exercise, stress responses and reduction measure, aromatherapy, and work-life balance.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.