Informatics for Health Profs
Focuses on the role of informatics in contemporary health care. Wireless and mobile computing, maintaining data integrity, information security and confidentiality and HIPAA, telehealth, and electronic health records (EHR) will be explored.
- Discuss the design, management, and use of health care data and health information systems.
- Discuss the integration and assimilation of technology in the professional’s daily life.
- Discuss health care as information dependent and market driven and the implications for health professionals.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of health care data including patient-specific data, aggregate data (such as performance data, utilization review and risk management data), knowledge-based data (used in policy planning and decision-making) and comparative community-wide data (used in policy development) external to the institution.
- Identify information that haws value in decision-making, evaluation, planning, marketing and policy.
- Compare and contrast mobile and wireless devices including personal digital assistants in terms of basic technology and implications for use in health care.
- Identify and evaluate examples of Internet and World Wide Web resources that may be useful to health care professionals and consumers.
- Discuss the various types of information systems used within health care institutions.
- Analyze the impact of HIPPA privacy and security requirements on the health care system and for the protection of information and security.
- Compare and contrast the computer-based patient record (CPR) and the electronic health record (EHR).
- Discuss the relationship between contingency planning and disaster recovery.
- Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of telehealth, the legal and practice issues, and implications for the health professions.
- Utilize a CPR or EHR in client care.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.