Legal/Ethical Issues Hlth Pr
Focuses on legal and ethical concepts, principles of ethics and law and use in resolving ethical conflicts and dilemmas in health care. Scope of practice, informed consent, employee and patient rights and responsibilities, patient abuse, and the influence of finance and corporate culture will be explored. Sample cases will be analyzed.
- Focuses on legal and ethical concepts, principles of ethics and law and use in resolving ethical conflicts and dilemmas in health care. Scope of practice, informed consent, employee and patient rights and responsibilities, patient abuse, and the influence of finance and corporate culture will be explored. Sample cases will be analyzed.
- Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Discuss the basic principles of ethics and the law.
- Analyze how both ethics and the law contribute to every aspect of decision-making in health care.
- Analyze case studies of ethical and legal health care issues.
- Determine an organization’s boundaries between what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior.
- Discuss the professional code of ethics for selected allied health professionals.
- Discuss how moral values and beliefs, religious influence, education and life experiences of both health professionals and clients can impact health care decisions.
- Discuss the influence of financial concerns on health care decisions.andlt;/liandgt; andlt;liandgt;Discuss how corporate culture can affect health care decisions.
- Discuss employee rights and responsibilities.
- Discuss patient rights and responsibilities.
- Discuss pervasiveness of patient abuse, signs of abuse, and reporting requirements for abuse.
- Discuss the information needed by an individual so that consent is "informed", who can give consent, and the ethical and legal implications of consent.
- Discuss the ethical and legal implications of practicing outside one’s scope of practice.
- Discuss the appropriate action to take when the allied health professional disagrees with a physician’s written order and is sure he or she is right.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.