Statics Strength of Material
Introduction to the key topics in strength of materials with focus on applications, problem solving and design of structural members, mechanical devices, and engineering systems.
- Explain the major principles of strength of materials.
- Contrast applications of the strength of materials in manufacturing, civil and construction engineering.
- Describe the basic principles of engineering statics.
- Contrast the issues of equilibrium of a particle and equilibrium of a rigid body.
- Apply methods of calculating centroids and moments of inertia for bodies that are combinations of simple geometric shapes.
- Understand major principles of direct shear, bearing stress, bending stress, and torsional shear stress.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.