Soil Mechanics and Foundation
The course introduces soil mechanics and foundation engineering to the students; teaches the students how to solve certain fundamental problems related to consolidation, shear strength, and design of shallow and deep foundations; and familiarizes students with relevant terms and soil tests so that they can work effectively with geotechnical engineering specialists. The course features soil basics, including their derivation, identification and classification. The principles of water flow in soils, settlement and heave, and shear strength of soils will be discussed. Consolidation problems, factors of safety for foundations, and foundation settlement prediction will also be covered.
- Evaluate and classify soils including soil and water weight-volume relationships.
- Evaluate the state of stress and shear strength of a soil mass.
- Estimate seepage volume and settlement through a compressible soil mass.
- Find the bearing capacity of shallow and deep foundations.
- Compute the footing thickness required for a building system.
- Identify and calculate the parameters needed for the design of foundations, including footing settlement, end bearing of piles, and earth pressure coefficients.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 180,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.