Construction Management Professional Certificate
Start sooner and finish faster with our innovative course design.
Speak with an enrollment advisor to get started today.
230K+ Alumni Worldwide
Become a member of NU’s global community.
Prepare for a career in the rapidly growing field of construction management
In just 20 weeks, this nondegree Construction Management Professional Certificate program will provide the in-demand skills needed to oversee construction projects, handle logistical and operational issues, and manage schedules and costs.
Developed with guidance from current industry leaders and specialists, the program provides relevant and sought-after training for those seeking an entry-level career in construction project management. Coursework also provides a foundation in the fundamentals of inspection, safety, drawings and surveys, and more.
- 3 courses toward the BS in Construction Management
- No entry requirements
- 20 weeks / 200 hours
- Asynchronous/ self-paced model
This certificate is offered for students looking to transition into a career in the construction industry and is a nondegree certificate that can be completed in 20 weeks.
You’ll gain foundational knowledge of construction management, the skills needed to oversee projects, and how to handle logistical problems. The construction sector is growing rapidly, and individuals with skills in construction project management, construction fundamentals, inspection, safety, managing changes, and written and verbal communication are in high demand.
Certificate Learning Outcomes
- Describe the fundamentals of construction management plans and specifications
- Explain construction bid documents and bidding procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of mathematics and its application in problem-solving
- Learn cost estimating and scheduling techniques
- Apply the principles of project management to construction projects
- Summarize basic inspection processes and the relationship between safety and quality
- Apply inspection techniques to improve workplace safety and ensure conformance with codes, plans, and specifications
- CMAA CMIT Level One Exam Preparation / OSHA Construction 10-Hour Certification (CMIT Exam and OSHA credential vouchers included)
To speak to a Professional and Continuing Education Program Coordinator about this certificate, please email [email protected] or call 805-200-2332.
- Module 1: Plans and Specifications
- Understand the fundamentals of interpreting drawings and specifications
- Demonstrate knowledge in reading surveys, site improvement, foundations, structures, mechanics, and electrical drawings
- Explain construction bid documents and related bidding procedures
- Apply specification principles and contract procedures and conditions
- Module 2: Field Inspection and Safety
- Understand the cost of injuries in comparison to the cost of safety
- Assess the occurrence of hazardous conditions
- Determine steps to implement contractual agreements and management systems that improve safety
- Understand the relationship between safety and quality
- Understand the basic inspection processes for sites, structures, general construction, and mechanical and electrical systems
- Apply inspection techniques to ensure conformance with codes, plans, and specifications
- Understand the final inspection process and project closeout
- Module 3: Estimating, Scheduling, and Control
- Understand the project management process
- Explain construction contracts and delivery methods
- Demonstrate estimating fundamentals
- Understand network and scheduling fundamentals
- Analyze construction progress through schedule updating
- Module 4: CMAA CMIT Level One Exam Preparation
National University Professional Certificates do not qualify for federal financial aid
Why Choose National University
- 190+ Degree Programs
- Online Courses
- Year-Round Enrollment
- Military Friendly
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
“National University has impacted my career. You can immediately apply what you learn in class to your business.”
-Francisco R., Class of 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Successful completion of the Construction Management Professional Certificate allows students to receive academic credit for three courses toward the BS in Construction Management if the student decides to pursue a degree at National University.
All learners are eligible to apply. There are no specific admissions requirements. It is recommended that learners have a high school diploma or GED.
The program is designed to be completed in 20 weeks, with approximately 200 hours of completion time throughout the program.
Yes. This certificate program is asynchronous and self-paced.
The Construction Management Professional Certificate program benefits individuals looking for an entry-level position in construction management. The certificate creates the opportunity to start a construction management career path.