A study of the software development life cycle. Emphasizes logical organization of system and communicating design through documentation suitable for generating a concrete implementation. Students construct an original project with practical applications applying software engineering concepts. This project includes program specifications, test plans, and user documentation. Grading is by H, S, or U only.
- Discuss factors that influenced and contributed to the “software crisis.”
- Describe the life cycle of software development.
- Discuss the documentation required for the development of large software programs.
- Participate in the development of software in a team environment.
- Describe high level and low level software design techniques.
- Develop and implement a software test plan based on a requirements specification.
- Perform coding and integration of programs based on a detailed design document.
- Implement and manage software development schedules in a team environment.
- Demonstrate both knowledge and practice of state-of-the-art principles of software development as demonstrated by their proficiency with an object oriented language such as C++.
- Use and understand the principles and methodology underlying the various computer tools such as operating systems, database systems, networks, and compiler.
- Understand and use data structure concepts and algorithms.
- Understand and properly apply client-server networking principles preferably in a web-based environment.
- Understand and be able to apply software process models (such as Life Cycle Mode).
- Effectively communicate through written, verbal and graphical means.
- Demonstrate mathematical modeling and its application in problem solving.
- Understand ethical and social concerns in computing and demonstrate ethical decision making.
- Describe the essential elements of software engineering discipline.
- Discuss fundamental design issues related to database systems and construct some basic SQL queries.
- Prepare and make a professional presentation.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.