An examination of theories of value and ideological differences in practical applications to clarify ethical differences. Course emphasizes the dilemmas of personal and professional responsibility, including business and workplace circumstances, social relationships, and political practice.
- Identify, understand, and articulate important differences in diverse ethical systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of philosophical methods for critical self-examination.
- Identify and explain the main tenets of deontological ethical theories, teleological ethical theories, Divine Command ethical theories, situational ethics, and Natural Law ethical theories; demonstrate familiarity with the concepts of altruism, nihilism, egoism, hedonism, asceticism, and utilitarianism.
- Analyze and evaluate typical moral decision-making procedures and value judgments based on an understanding of the ethical system or theory from which such values and judgments are determined.
- Clearly articulate how different ethical systems compare and contrast with the student’s own ethical perspective and particular ethical beliefs.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences