Major Author Seminar II
A critical study of the work of a single author, such as Shakespeare, George Eliot, Garcia Lorca, Ernest Hemingway, James Baldwin. Special attention given to biography, culture, and literary context.
- Synthesize biographical and historical background with literary analysis of an author’s works.
- Evaluate the complexities of canon formation in terms of the author’s ‘major’ status.
- Analyze and evaluate a broad range of primary documents written by the author, including essays, letters, and minor writings, as well as major writings.
- Analyze, evaluate, and integrate a broad range of secondary writings about the author, including reviews, biography, webliography, films, and the full spectrum of criticism.
- Write a scholarly argument of publishable quality that synthesizes relevant biography, history, and criticism with an original interpretation of one or more of the author’s works.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences