Public Communications Legal, Ethical Issue
Provides students with a clear understanding of the legal environment for public communications and the ethical considerations that must be taken into account. Examines international regulation of copyright and intellectual property protection and legal and regulatory provisions in the U.S. Teaches skills in assessing ethical risk and following ethical guidelines.
- Evaluate and appraise the major theories used by the Supreme Court in deciding First Amendment cases.
- Identify and discuss the major cases decided by the courts that have influenced media law jurisprudence.
- Identify and explain the underlying ethical theories and guiding principles that apply to the media and mass communication.
- Apply critical thinking to ethical problems.
- Analyze the ethical norms of media organizations and the mass communication industry.
- Debate and defend their position on each of the ethical questions in media discussed in class.
- Develop and justify their own framework of ethical decision-making and outline the principles on which it is based.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
College of Letters and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”College of Letters and Sciences