Provides a broad survey of the theoretical approaches employed in the study of communication. Focuses on theories relevant to many levels of interaction from interpersonal to mass and mediated communication. Also explores how and why theories are developed and how they can be evaluated.
- Explain how and why theories are developed
- Identify the criteria for evaluating communication theories
- Describe theories relating to intra- and interpersonal communication
- Describe theories relating to group communication
- Describe theories relating to organizational communication
- Describe theories relating to mediated communication
- Explain how to apply appropriate theories to given communication contexts and situations
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a Veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 230,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences