Fundamentals of visual arts presented through drawing and other media. Students develop their own creative vision while learning aesthetic values and concepts, as well as how to handle materials. Students supply basic art materials.
- Identify the principal media of the visual arts and describe the typical methods and materials
- Analyze the elements and principles of design employed in the formal structure of selected artworks.
- Compare and contrast the style characteristics of selected works.
- Discuss visual art as a key to understanding human values.
- Compare experiences of visual arts from a variety of perspectives, cultures and eras.
- Employ the language, concepts and methods of interpretive criticism as applicable to visual arts.
- Use basic drawing media with confidence
1. Participation in class discussions.
2. In and out of class assignments.
3. Oral presentation.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 185,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences