Introduction to Art History
Survey of the main periods in art history, with emphasis on the complex relationship between art and society. Explores the development of Western art from Prehistoric to Contemporary.
- Discuss artworks in the light of their historical, social, and cultural contexts.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, reading and writing skills in analyzing works of art.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of the major eras and cultures in Western art.
- Discuss visual art as a key to understanding human values.
- Compare and contrast the style characteristics of selected works.
- Compare experiences of visual arts from a variety of perspectives, including those of different cultures and eras.
- Analyze the elements and principles of design employed in the formal structure of selected artworks.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
“Our faculty are established scholars and creators in their own fields. They are dedicated to making your entry into their disciplines a successful one, preparing you for your career as well as graduate study.”School of Arts, Letters, and Sciences