Paralegal Specialist Certificate - Litigation
The Paralegal Specialist Certificate in Litigation is intended to introduce students to the legal skills required to serve the community effectively and ethically in a litigation practice. The paralegal litigation specialization covers case analysis, legal research, drafting pleadings, motion and discovery documents, evidence, and preparation of cases for trial. The paralegal program provides an academic and practical education of uncompromising quality. The certificate is approved by the American Bar Association and offered only at the Los Angeles and Woodland Hills campuses. Please note that this program is only offered on site.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Discuss broad legal principles from the primary areas of law, such as Torts, Contracts, Real Property, and others, and explain the definitions of certain basic legal terms and phrases.
- Conduct legal research using manual and computer-assisted methods.
- Demonstrate the basic process of legal reasoning and analysis.
- Explain the litigation process and the paralegal’s role in pre-trial, trial, and post-trial proceedings.
- Recognize how broad ethical principles apply to paralegals in a litigation practice.
All lower division general education courses must be completed at National University or another regionally-accredited institution. In the absence of transfer credit, additional general electives may be necessary to satisfy total units for the degree.
Students may earn more than one Paralegal Specialist Certificate. Generally, any course completed for any one Paralegal Specialist Certificate need not be repeated and will apply towards other Paralegal Specialist Certificates. Each certificate is tailored to include training in substantive legal analysis, drafting legal documents, and understanding procedural matters.
The Litigation Specialization covers case analysis, legal research, drafting pleadings, motion and discovery documents, evidence, and preparation of cases for trial. The following courses are specific certificate requirements.
- PLX 2100X Torts
- PLX 2101X Leg Res Wrtg-Briefing/Analysis
- PLX 2102X Contracts
- PLX 2103X Leg Res Wrtg-Legal Memo
- PLX 1804X Foundations of Property Law
- PLX 2105X Computers & the Law
- PLX 1806X Legal Writing Project
- PLX 1807X Litigation Essentials