Immigration and Visa Preparation


National University’s International Programs Office (IPO) is here to provide international students with immigration advising for maintaining their legal status and to contribute to the success of their educational and professional goals while in the United States. The IPO is a comprehensive resource for advisement and assistance relating to the F-1 students non-immigrant status to include information as it relates to the passport, Form I-94 (entry stamp), and related immigration documents (visa, I-20, EAD, and I-797).

At the International Programs Office, students can obtain information regarding their immigration status, including:

  • Maintaining your F-1 Status
  • Change of Status to F-1
  • Document such as: I-20, visa, passport, and I-94
  • Employment in the U.S.: Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training, On-Campus Employment, Employment Workshops
  • Orientation
  • Student Success
  • Travel Endorsements for Travel Out of the USA and Re-Entry

If you have any questions, please contact the International Programs Office to schedule an appointment or come in to meet with an Immigration Specialist.

Spectrum Campus

9388 Lightwave Ave.
Room 185A
San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: 858-541-7960
Email: [email protected]

Los Angeles Campus

5245 Pacific Concourse Drive
Los Angeles, CA. 90045
Phone: 310-662-2081
Email: [email protected]

Visa Preparation

Acquiring a Student Visa

You must have a valid passport in order to obtain a visa for the United States. Before visiting the U.S. Consulate for your visa, please read carefully the instructions on the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) issued for your studies at National University. Students with an I-20 will apply for an F-1 student visa. Contact your closest US Embassy or Consulate to get the procedures for applying for a visa. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE) has published information sheets describing what to expect when applying for a student visa and at a U.S. Port of Entry. Please note: Canadian citizens do not need a visa stamp, though they must have all the other documentation.

Paying the SEVIS Fee

Applicants for F-1 visas need to pay a SEVIS fee, prior to submitting the visa application. A brief description and instructions about how to process the SEVIS fee payment can be found on the Visa Preparation PDF on the right side of this website and by visiting the more comprehensive US Immigration and Customs Enforcement website. At the time of your visa interview, you will need to provide documents certifying the amounts and sources of financial support for your studies. Keep copies of these documents to present to the US Immigration official at the Port of Entry.