Frequently Asked Questions

Is a four-year bachelor’s degree required for graduate program admission, as opposed to a three-year degree?

National University has a one-year bridging program for students who hold a three-year bachelor’s degree.

What is the process for transferring credits to National University?

Submit your completed application, all required documents, and transcripts of all university courses completed. National University will evaluate your previous courses and let you know which courses will transfer.

Can I get financial aid?

Unfortunately, international students are not eligible for United States federal or state financial aid.

What type of scholarships are available to me? How am I eligible for these?

Scholarships are available to incoming and enrolled students. Scholarships are very competitive for students with an outstanding academic record.

What is the deadline to apply?

National University accepts students year-round. However, certain programs are only offered twice a year. You should always apply at least two to four months before you want to begin classes to ensure you have enough time to obtain an F-1 visa.

What are the minimum requirements for admission to the MBA program? Is experience required?

  • An undergraduate degree
  • TOEFL/IELTS scores or an application to the English Language Program
  • Minimum GPA of 2.5
  • Proof of financial support

No experience is necessary.

Is the GMAT or GRE required?

The GMAT and GRE are not required for admission to National University.

Is the TOEFL or IELTS required?

Yes, proof of English proficiency is required for direct admission into undergraduate and graduate degree programs. If you do not have test scores or have non-passing scores, you can enroll in our English Language Program. Completion of National University’s English Language Program satisfies the English proficiency requirement for admission to undergraduate and graduate degree programs. More information about test scores can be found on the application checklist.

How long do graduate programs take to complete?

Depending on your program of choice and your personal circumstances, graduate programs are 12-16 courses and take anywhere from one year to two years to complete.

How long do undergraduate programs take to complete?

Undergraduate programs are about 42-46 courses, depending on your program, and take an average of three and half years to complete.

How long will it take to get my I-20?

It takes about four to six weeks to complete the application process. Some processing may take longer due to complex evaluations.

Can I apply online?

Yes, international students can apply online. APPLY NOW

Do I need recommendation letters or a personal essay?

No, National University does not require letters of recommendation or personal essays.

There is a place for a social security number on the application; what should I write there?

If you do not have a social security number, leave the section blank.

How do I show proof of financial support?

If you are using an offshore bank your letter should include the following:

  • Account type
  • Account number
  • Account holder’s name in English
  • A signature or stamp from a bank official
  • Bank contact number or email
  • At least $33,500 USD in accessible funds

National University does not accept bank statements from offshore banks, only bank letters.

If you are using a bank located within the U.S., you need the following:

  • Bank statements for two consecutive months
  • The beginning and ending balance for each month
  • The account type
  • The name of the account holder
  • An average of $3,722 each month
  • If the statements are printed from your online account, you must take them to the bank and have them stamped or signed by a bank official

National University does not accept bank letters from a bank in the U.S., only statements.

Do I need to pre-pay my tuition?

You are required to pay for your first three classes prior to arrival and as part of the check-in process. Tuition for these three classes is non-refundable.

Payment must be made via credit card or wire transfer. No bank drafts (checks) accepted. If payment is not received prior to the orientation date listed on your I-20, an administrative hold will be placed on your record. All records and services are withheld from students who have any outstanding financial obligations to the University.

What if I get denied for a visa and miss the start date for my program?

You would need to apply for a deferment I-20 from National University with a revised start date. The Deferment Form is located on the “How to Apply” page.

Do I need a financial statement if I don’t have a sponsor?

Yes, if you are supporting yourself, you only need to fill out Part A and sign Part C. The financial statement is needed for every person listed as an account holder on the financial support documents. If there is a joint account, both account holders need to sign Part B.

Can my relative or friend in the US ask for my application status or pick up my I-20?

Yes, but you must submit the Release of Records form indicating the person who you allow to have your information.

What is the TOEFL code if I want ETS to send my score directly to the school?

The NU TOEFL code is 4557.

How long will I need to be in the English Language Program?

The Preparation English Program is eight levels. You will take a placement exam at orientation to determine how many levels you will be required to take. The length of the program will depend on your English proficiency level.

How can I pay the application fee?

National University accepts international payments through a payment portal powered by Flywire. This portal allows you to save on bank fees and exchange rates and track your payments online from start to finish. Click to access portal.