SSE615 Fundamentals of Recovery
Lead Faculty: Dr. Shekar Viswanathan
This course addresses the concepts, operational procedures, and authorities involved in recovering from major disasters. Federal, State, and local government roles and responsibilities in major disaster recovery work will be covered, as well as government coordination and the solution of problems frequently arising in recovery operations. Preliminary damage assessment, disaster recovery centers, and special needs of victims and disaster workers are discussed.
- Analyze history, philosophy, strategy, programs, and consequences of recovery operations
- Evaluate specialized knowledge and skills necessary to create programs that will reduce losses from future disasters during recovery operations
- Examine specialized knowledge and skills necessary to create programs that will reduce losses from other extreme events caused by natural and manmade hazards
- Defend the cycles and physical aspects of recovery
- Appraise an understanding of the politics of recovery