This degree is approved by the American Bar Association. The Associate of Science in Paralegal Studies degree is designed to provide students with a solid foundation of professional legal studies leading to a career as a paralegal or legal assistant. The course work and accompanying credits in this program may be transferred to the Bachelor of Science or a professional certificate in Paralegal Studies if all other requirements for admission are met. This degree is offered and ABA-approved at the Los Angeles and Sherman Oaks campuses and housed within the School of Professional Studies.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Describe the role of the paralegal in the American legal system.
- Analyze the basic issues of a legal problem.
- Develop paralegal skills in investigation, legal research, and client and witness interviews.
- Identify common paralegal tasks in substantive areas of the law.
- Develop written and oral communication skills in a legal environment.
- Explain how ethical standards generally apply to paralegals in the practice of law.
To receive an Associate of Science degree in Paralegal Studies, students must complete at least 90 quarter units, including 49.5 quarter units of legal specialty courses, one 4.5 quarter unit course of English for Professionals, and the required minimum of 35.5 units of the Associate of Science General Education as specified in the University catalog. Please note a minimum of 27 quarter units of general education course work (across at least three disciplines such as social science, natural science, mathematics, humanities, foreign language and English)is required by the American Bar Association.
All lower division general education courses must be completed at National University or another regionally-accredited institution. In the absence of transfer credit, additional general electives may be necessary to satisfy total units for the degree.
Requirements for the Major (12 courses; 54 quarter units)
- PLA 200 Legal Theory & Ethics
- PLX 1000X Torts
- PLA 201 English for Professionals
- PLX 1001X Leg Res Wrtg-Briefing/Analysis
- PLX 1002X Contracts
- PLX 1003X Leg Res Wrtg-Legal Memo
- PLA 202 Property
- PLA 203 Leg Res Wrtg-Persuasive Wrtg.
- PLX 1005X Computers & the Law
- PLA 303 Law Office Administration
- PLA 318 Remedies & Dispute Resolution
- PLA 325 Litigation I
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.