JRN340 Feature Writing
Lead Faculty: Dr. Sara-Ellen L. Amster Ph.D
Feature Writing is an advanced course that focuses on the art of writing features for newspapers, magazines, online publications and other media outlets. The course will teach students how to spot creative ideas for features and how to turn these ideas into stories that others will want to read, hear, or watch.
- Define the forms and norms of narrative journalism across media platforms.
- Identify the characteristics of effective feature stories across media platforms and outlets.
- Plan and execute a comprehensive research and reporting regimen for feature writing.
- Conduct successful interviews, and effectively edit quotations to illustrate or support arguments in feature stories.
- Organize, outline and draft feature stories.
- Distinguish the characteristics of effective feature writing, and apply this knowledge to the criticism and editing processes.