CJA 620 Legal Issues in CJ
Lead Faculty: Dr. Ponzio Oliverio
Course DescriptionAn assessment of legal issues, legal terminology and analysis of court decisions involving criminal justice agenciesandamp;#8217; exposure to criminal or civil liability involving wrongful death, wrongful termination, police corruption, and discrimination lawsuits.
- Compare and assess the differences between various forms of legal systems.
- Evaluate the roles placed by the different state and federal trial courts and appellate courts.
- Assess the selection process of judges and the various roles of prosecutors and public defenders.
- Evaluate and assess the success of the various specialized courts including the juvenile courts and the role of the attorneys in plea bargaining.
- Analyze court decisions involving police or criminal justice agencies in terms of criminal sanctions.
- Compare court decisions involving civil liability and wrongful death cases.
- Appraise issues involving wrongful termination, police corruption, and discrimination lawsuits.