Gain skills needed for the management aspects of disasters and emergencies and become a well-rounded decision maker with a background in leadership and ethics with the Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management degree (MSHSEM). The program represents an interdisciplinary area of research and application that brings together the fields of homeland security, terrorism, and emergency management as they relate to man-made and natural disasters. The terrorist events of 9/11 highlighted the national and international need for individuals with a homeland security and emergency management degree and experienced professionals in the area of homeland security and emergency management. Naturally occurring events such as Hurricane Katrina, the Southern California wildfires, Joplin tornados, and Japanese tsunami are further evidence of the ongoing requirement for specialized knowledge in this area. Businesses, governments, and private industry must be able to prepare for, respond to, and recover from potentially debilitating natural and man-made catastrophes.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Integrate tools, resources, and organizational systems for the successful implementation of homeland security and emergency management issues.
- Formulate global mindset to terrorism, homeland security and emergency management issues.
- Assess the impact of security issues for the operation of the public and private sectors with respect to manmade and natural disasters.
- Integrate resources, organizational systems, and decision making processes for the successful implementation of homeland security and emergency management plans.
- Assess the impact of communications and the media on terrorism, homeland security and emergency management messaging.
- Critique legal and ethical issues in homeland security and emergency management.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.