Accepting Applications. Deadline: June 1, 2020
Develop advanced expertise in anesthesia care delivery while preparing to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) in the Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP) program at National University, the first academic institution in the world to pursue and achieve Planetree Recognition. The hybrid program can be completed in as few as three years and includes a 15-month didactic residency at the Fresno campus and some online classes.
In this entry-into-practice clinical doctoral program, you will master the art and science of anesthesia care delivery. Online and on-campus coursework focuses on health organizations and systems analysis, quality assessment and improvement, leadership, policy analysis, and the implementation of evidence-based practice initiatives.
The DNAP program includes a front-loaded didactic model with on-site didactic and high-fidelity simulation courses. The second phase of the program includes clinical courses at an affiliate hospital where you will gain hands-on experience administering anesthesia to patients across the age spectrum and in all surgical specialties under the direct supervision of a CRNA or anesthesiologist mentor.
Upon graduation, you will be prepared to sit for the National Certification Exam (NCE) to become a CRNA.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze physiologic, safety, and organizational theories to promote patient safety, enhance quality care, and improve nurse anesthesia practice.
- Synthesize relevant scientific literature and apply results to improve nurse anesthesia practice and patient care outcomes in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Demonstrate leadership skills to meet the challenges of complex health care and educational environments.
- Demonstrate nurse anesthesia scholarship through presentations, publications, leadership activities, and collaboration with other disciplines.
- Demonstrate advanced levels of clinical judgment and accountability in perianesthetic care.
Bryan Tune, PhD, DNP, CRNA
Program Director, Nurse Anesthesiology Program
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.