Dr. Wali Mondal
Wali Mondal is a Professor of Economics and Academic Program Director, Economics at National University. He obtained his Ph.D. from The Ohio State University, Master’s degree in Development Economics from Boston University and Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees with honors in Economics from Rajshahi University, Bangladesh. Professor Mondal has worked and consulted for many national and international organizations including the United Nations Development Program, the World Bank, the State of Ohio and Duke Energy. He has taught in a number of universities in the United States, Bangladesh and New Zealand. During 1993-96, he was Chair of the Accounting, Economics and Business Education Department at Henderson State University in Arkansas. He served as the Interim Dean of the School of Business and Management of National University during 2007 and 2008 academic years. Professor Mondal was a Fulbright Scholar and was placed at the University of Sfax, Tunisia during January-February 2012.
Professor Mondal’s research areas include economic development, entrepreneurship and microentrepreneurship. He has published and presented approximately 100 papers in many national and international conferences and journals. In 2002, Professor Mondal published a book titled “Microcredit and Microentrepreneurship – Collateral Free Loan at Work in Bangladesh”. In this book, he traced the origin of collateral free microcredit to Rabindranath Tagore who is known more for his literary talents and was the first Indian citizen to win Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913. Professor Mondal is the editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences, Journal of Business and Accounting and the Journal of Business and Educational Leadership. He is the Founder-President of the American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences (www.asbbs.org), one of the largest interdisciplinary professional societies.
Honors and Awards
- 2012, Fulbright Specialist Award
- 2005, President's Professoriate Award
- 2002, Nominated for Outstanding Teaching
- 2002, Nominated for Outstanding Research
- 2001, Nominated for Outstanding Teaching
- 1988, Excellence in Research/Public Service Award
- 1987, Excellence in Research/Public Service Award
- 1983, Outstanding International Student Scholarship
- 1969, Graduate Merit Scholarship
- 1966, Merit Scholarship
- Mondal, W. I.. (2017). "Flow of Development Aid and Extreme Poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa: From MDG to SDG". International Journal of Business and Social Scien, 9(12): 57-64.
- Lizandra Jimenez (Second Author). (2015). "Teaching Entrepreneurship and Micro-Entrepreneurship: An International Perspective". Journal of International Education Research, 11(3): .
- Mondal, W. I.. (2015). "Extreme Poverty and the New Development Bank of BRICS". British Journal of Economics, Management and Trade, 9(2): 1-10.
- Mondal, W. I.. (2013). "The Health Insurance Exchange: An Oligopolistic Market In Need Of Reform". Journal of Business and Economics Research, 11(12): 569-576.
- Mark Peters. (2012). "Microcredit at the Crossroads: A Question of Principled Leadership". Integral Leadership Review,
- Mondal, W. I.. (2012). "Microcredit as a Tool for Rural Development: A Case Study of Malaysia". Journal of Business Case Studies, 87-94.
- Mondal, W. I.. (2009). An Analysis of the Industrial Development Potential of Malaysia: A Shift-Share Approach. 7(6): .
- Mondal, W. I.. (2009). Poverty Alleviation and Microcredit in Sub-Saharan Africa. 8(1): 1-10.
- Mondal, W. I.. (2006). Patent Rights, Mergers and Entrepreneurship in the Biotechnology Industry of Sweden?. 172-175.
- Mondal, W. I.. (2005). Microcredit and Microentrepreneurship: An Extension of Schumpeter's Five-Factor Model?. 1-13.
- Mondal, W. (2009). Microentrepreneurship: How to Succeed With Less. Paper presented at the , Las Vegas, NV.
- Mondal, W. (2008). A Model to Analyze the Economic Development Potential of the East Coast of Malaysia: A Shift-Share Approach. Paper presented at the , Kota Bharu, Malaysia.
- Mondal, W. (2008). NGOs and the Success of Microcredit Operation in Selected African Countries. Paper presented at the , Honolulu, HI.
- Mondal, W. (2008). Entrepreneurship with Less: Microfinance Institutes and Microentrepreneurship. Paper presented at the , Salzburg, Australia.
- Mondal, W. (2006). Transaction Costs of Illegal Contracts and Welfare Loss ? A Case Study of Bangladesh. Paper presented at the , Honolulu, HI.
- Mondal, W. (2006). Evolution of Microenterprise and a Few Success Stories. Paper presented at the , Las Vegas, NV.
- Mondal, W. (2005). Corruption in the Indian Subcontinent: A Socio-Economic Analysis. Paper presented at the , London, UK.