Dr. Patricia Dickenson
Dr. Patricia Dickenson is an expert in mathematics and technology integration. She presents nationally on motivating and engaging students in mathematics with digital tools. Dr. Dickenson’s Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/@TeacherPrepTech includes resources for teachers to use for math instruction as well as interviews with experts in the field of education. Dr. Dickenson began her teaching career in Los Angeles and was a mathematics coach for the Los Angeles Unified School district. She received her doctorate from the University of Southern California in 2009, and her dissertation examined English Language Learners’ motivation and engagement in elementary and middle school math. Dr. Dickenson is the Course Lead for Math and Science Methods at National University. She is a regular writer on her website: www.teacherpreptech.com and can be found on Twitter and Instagram @teacherpreptech
- Dickenson, P., & Coddington, L., (2021). Technology Infused Math Instruction(pp. 1-314). Dubuque, IA. Kendall Hunt. ISBN: 9781792485312
- Dickenson, P., Keough, P., & Courduff, J. (2017). Preparing Pre-Service Teachers for the Inclusive Classroom (pp. 1-300). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-1753-5.
- Dickenson, P., & Jaurez, J. J. (2016). Increasing Productivity and Efficiency in Online Teaching (pp. 1-327). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-0347-7
- Dickenson, P. (2022, June) The Case for Virtual Manipulatives. The California Mathematics Council Communicator Volume 46 No. 4.
- Dickenson, P. (2021, March) Math Talk with Tech Tools. The California Mathematics Council Communicator Volume 45 No. 3.
- Dickenson, P. (2016, March) The Flipped Classroom in a Hybrid Teacher Education Course: Teachers’ Self-Efficacy and Instructors Practices. Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching. http://faculty.nu.edu/blogs/jrit/
Scholarly Paper Presentations
- Dickenson, P., & Coddington, L. (2021) Using Social Media to Support and Sustain Mathematics Professional Development. Paper Presented at AERA Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL
- Dickenson, P. & Amador-Lankster, C. (2019, March 22) Analyzing Student Thinking and Planning with the Learning Map. California Council of Teacher Education (CCTE), Sacramento, California, March 2019.
- Dickenson, P., (2018, April 25) Invited Sessions: Teacher Driven and Technology Mediated: Using Social Media to Support and Sustain Professional Learning Communities in Mathematics Professional Development, Paper presented at the Annual National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Research Conference, Washington DC.
- Dickenson, P., & Sistek-Chandler, C., (2018, April 17) Investigating the Motives, Strategies, and Tensions of Instructional Technology Coaches: How Coaches Influence Teachers’ Technological, Pedagogical, and Content Knowledge. Poster Presented at the American Education Research Association Conference (AERA), New York, New York.
- Dickenson, P., (2018, April, 15) The Role of Teacher Leadership for Promoting Professional Development Practices, Paper Presented at the American Education Research Association Conference (AERA), New York, New York.
- Dickenson, P. & Montgomery, J. (April 14, 2016) Teachers Lead Teachers in Professional Development. National Council of Teaching Mathematics Annual Meeting (NCTM), San Francisco, CA.
- Dickenson, P. (April 10, 2016) Does Real-time Collaboration Improve Student Assessment? American Education Research Association Annual Meeting (AERA), Washington DC.
- Dickenson, P. (April 12, 2016) Why Second-Career Professionals Choose to Teach and the Experiences that Shape their Practice. American Education Research Association Annual Meeting (AERA), Washington DC.
- Dickenson, P., Keough, P., & Padover, W. (April, 2015). Faculty Perceptions of Teaching and Advising as it Relates to University Expectations. Unpublished paper presented at the Society of Professors of Education (April, 2015), Chicago, Illinois
- Dickenson, P. (2014). Redesigning Teacher Education for Second-Career Teachers. Center for Scholastic Inquiry Conference. San Francisco, April 11, 2014.
- Dickenson P., (2010). Standard-based Teaching Practices in Mathematics: examining students’ achievement in elementary and middle school classrooms. National Council of Teaching Mathematics Regional Meeting, Denver, Colorado, October 8, 2010
- Dickenson P., (2010). Goal Orientation of Latino English language learners: examining the relationship between engagement, achievement and teaching practices in mathematics. Presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Denver. Colorado, April 29, 2010.
Chapters in Nationally Published Books
- Dickenson, P. (2017). What do we Know and Where Can We Grow?: Teachers Preparation for the Inclusive Classroom. In P. Dickenson, P. Keough, & J. Courduff (Eds.), Preparing Pre-Service Teachers for the Inclusive Classroom (pp. 1-22). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-1753-5.ch001
- Bender, S., & Dickenson, P. (2016) Utilizing Social Media to Engage Students in Online Learning: Building Relationships Outside of the Learning Management System. In Increasing Productivity and Efficiency in Online Teaching. Hershey, PA. IGI Global.
- Dickenson, P., & Chandler, C. (2016). Blending Digital Content in Teacher Education Programs. In Active Learning in the Flipped Classroom Model in the Digital Age. Hershey, PA. IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/blending-digital-content-in-teacher-education-programs/141009
- Dickenson, P., & Montgomery, J. (2016) The Role of Teacher Leadership for Promoting Professional Development Practices. In Innovative Professional Development Methods and Strategies for STEM Education. Hershey, PA. IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/innovative-professional-development-methods-strategies/132775#table-of-contents
- Dickenson, P., Hall, M., & Courduff, J. (2015) Moving Beyond the Basics: The Evolution of Web 2.0 Tools from Preview to Participate. In Handbook of Research on the Societal Impact of Digital Media. Hershey, PA. IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/handbook-research-societal-impact-digital/122611#table-of-contents
- Dickenson, P. (2014) Redesigning teacher education programs to meet the needs of today’s second career pre-service teachers. In Cases on Teacher Identity, Diversity and Cognition in Higher Education. Hershey, PA. IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/cases-teacher-identity-diversity-cognition/97320
- Dickenson, P. (2014) Flipping the Classroom in a Teacher Education Course. In Keengwe, J., Onchwari, G., & Oigara, J. (Eds.), Promoting Active Learning Through the Flipped Classroom Model. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-4987-3. http://www.igi-global.com/book/promoting-active-learning-through-flipped/84096
(Video Series, Blog Posts Peer-Reviewed, and Published)
- Dickenson, P. & Snedeker, K., (2021, February 26) . Getting Kids to Take Online Safety Seriously, Edutopia. Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/article/getting-kids-take-online-safety-seriously
- Dickenson, P. A. (2016, March 30). Creating an Online Web Presence for Instructional Use. Retrieved from http://www.igi-global.com/video.aspx?ref=creating-online-web-presence-instructional&titleid=137623.
- Dickenson, P.,A. (2012, January 17). Justice for English language learners: ASCD Emerging Leader Patricia Dickenson featured on Rick Hess Straight Up Education Week’s blog [Blog post] Retrieved from http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2012/01/justice_for_english_language_learners.html