Specialization in Autism
Dr. KayDee Caywood
This specialization is designed for those interested in working with students that fall within the Autism Spectrum Disorder. For candidates interested in adding the Autism Authorization to a valid Education Specialist credential, please review the Autism Certificate program under the Special Education Department section.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competence and understanding in using behavioral analysis to manage and change behaviors in children with autism.
- Demonstrate competence in recognizing behaviors and utilizing assessments that identify children as having autism.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the background and orientation of the terms included in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) category.
- Demonstrate skills needed for working collaboratively with diverse populations in ASD.
- Demonstrate understanding of differing evidence- based strategies for teaching students with autism.
- Demonstrate an understanding of federal and state laws.
- Demonstrate competency to collaborate in a group process (paraprofessionals, DIS providers, etc.) to organize a structured ASD classroom, to collect relevant data on behavioral outcomes, and to implement identified evidence-based strategies.
(4 courses; 18 quarter units)