This specialization is designed for those interested in working with students that fall within the Autism Spectrum Disorder. For candidates interested in adding the Autism Authorization to a valid Education Specialist credential, please review the Autism Certificate program under the Special Education Department section.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competence and understanding in using behavioral analysis to manage and change behaviors in children with autism.
- Demonstrate competence in recognizing behaviors and utilizing assessments that identify children as having autism.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the background and orientation of the terms included in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) category.
- Demonstrate skills needed for working collaboratively with diverse populations in ASD.
- Demonstrate understanding of differing evidence- based strategies for teaching students with autism.
- Demonstrate an understanding of federal and state laws.
- Demonstrate competency to collaborate in a group process (paraprofessionals, DIS providers, etc.) to organize a structured ASD classroom, to collect relevant data on behavioral outcomes, and to implement identified evidence-based strategies.