SCR680P Screenwriting I Practicum
Course DescriptionIn this independent 'studio practicum' taken after SCR 680 Screenwriting I, students develop a 'first draft' of an original screenplay guided by practical assignments developed by the instructor. The original draft screenplay will receive a minimum of two individual critical reviews. Grading is H, S, or U only.
- Apply the underlying principles for writing a screenplay, including the three-act structure, creating dramatic or comedic conflict, developing dynamic characters, and telling a story visually.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in the screenplay form including appropriate formatting, writing of dialog and expression of visual thinking.
- Evaluate the creative process of screenwriting
- Revise the logline for a feature film to reflect a deeper sense of the tools learned during the writing process.
- Generate a first draft of an original screenplay that includes: a. action expressed dramatically and visually b. multi-dimensional major and secondary characters c. well-constructed scenes that utilize action and dramatic storytelling d. clearly defined protagonist and antagonist e. indication of character arc for central characters.