Specific programs and services not only include NUCRI’s community research, technical applications, professional development and training capabilities, but also its leadership, resource networking role and Community Grid services as an institutional collaborator.
Overview of NUCRI's Programs and Service Offerings:
- National City Collaborative (NCC)/Family Resource Center (FRC) Integrated Community Services Data Management System (i-Dataware) and a related comparative study of FRC Student Academic Performance.
- Collaborator with the Virginia Bioinformatics Institute for a National Science Foundation funded CI-TEAM Implementation Grant. The focus is on transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary Bioinformatics curriculum development and deployment to college and high school teachers and students via PDX Online.
- Coordinator of National University’s TeraGrid Campus Champion Program and Facilitator of TeraGrid access for NUCRI Partners. TeraGrid is a nation-wide, multiyear effort to deploy the world’s most comprehensive distributed infrastructure for open scientific research. When completed, the TeraGrid will include 13.6 teraflops* of Linux cluster computing power at four sites, 650 teraflops of disk storage, high resolution, visualization environments and grid computing tool kits – all connected by a 40 gigabits-per second network.
- Collaborator on the State of Illinois Health Department’s Youth Obesity Project with the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, and Chicago Area University Consortium. NUCRI is providing the software system for surveillance and management of at-risk students in state-wide obesity study. NUCRI also will make available its Community Grid services.
- Leadership and Collaborator roles with the Advance Research and Technology Collaboratory of the Americas (ARTCA). The four public universities of Costa Rica and CeNAT (National Center for Advanced Technologies) are Lead Partners, along with the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), NUCRI, Texas Applied Computing Center (TACC), industry and the government. ARTCA projects and initiatives are developed in concert with Siglo XX Estrategia – Costa Rica’s Strategy for the 21st Century.
- Leadership and Collaborator roles with Duke University and the University of California Humanities Research Institute at UC Irvine for the Humanities, Arts, Science, Technology, Advanced Collaboratory (HASTAC) program involving over eighty colleges and universities nation-wide. NUCRI was one of nine branding institutions for the 2006-2007 HASTAC Information Year, responsible for the onsite and webcast InCommunity event on “Toward a New Civic Culture: Smart and Creative Community Building.”
- Educational Management Systems (EMS) Scholarships, Professional Development, services for its Charter School teachers serving over 25,000 at-risk youth in the Options for Youth (OFY) and Opportunities for Learning (OFL) in California and the Pathways in Education program in Illinois and Collaborative Projects in California and Illinois.
- CIERRA (Cyber-Infrastructure Education, Recruitment, Retention, Advancement) Corps Project-based Learning for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) careers, Space Education and EOT Industry Communications (e.g. High Performance Computing or HPC Wire Horizon Online Community. CIERRA Corps is a resource network of teachers, students, schools and technologists and humanists committed to collaborate and prepare teachers and students for STEM field careers and contribute to making Cyber-infrastructure Education, Outreach, Access, and Training as an educational and workforce imperative.
- Partner with the University of San Francisco TEAMS AmeriCorps Fellowship Program which provides professional development, financial assistance awards and social support to classroom teachers, counselors, and paraprofessionals in the pubic schools of California and Washington. AmeriCorps teacher attend a series of pedagogical seminars and produce a service learning project that addresses an identified school-community need, while pursuing their credential or degree.
- Provider of Professional Development Extension (PDX) Online Services for prospective and practicing teachers in schools and colleges. PDX Online and related Onsite Workshops is NUCRI’s Education, Outreach and Training (EOT) vehicle for AmeriCorps and CIERRA Corps participants. It is also a tool for broadening participation in science and technology and introducing new knowledge and skills for cyberinfrastructure applications across the disciplines.