Program Design & Advocacy
Philosophical, theoretical, and research bases for second language programs and bilingual education, including the theoretical foundations, practices, limitations, and effects of the subtractive and additive perspective of secondary language, bilingual and dual language education. Literacy learning, native and simultaneous literacy development in the context of various approaches to program management, governance and school and community advocacy.
- Identify and describe the major components of Second Language, Bilingual and Dual Language Programs.
- Survey and analyze key existing academic research on program effectiveness.
- Understand and explain the role and significance of Oral Language Development in L1 and L2 for program design and implementation.
- Describe and explain the major factors that impact the process of literacy development in the native language and in second language.
- Understand and apply knowledge of language interdependence, language transferability and language interference.
- Design and formulate implementation considerations for Second Language Education programs, i.e. ESL Pull out, ESL push in, Self-contained ELD, Structured English Immersion, Sheltered Content Area.
- Design and formulate implementation considerations for Transitional/Developmental Bilingual and Two-Way Bilingual/Dual Language programs.
- Analyze school climate and level of community support across program models
- Analyze school climate and level of community support across program models.
- Understand, explain and contrast various approaches to program management, governance and advocacy that are responsive to the school and community.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.