Oral Language Read Aloud
Focus is on how to recognize and implement appropriate strategies that support oral language and early literacy development of young children. Emphasis is on improving knowledge of language development and acquisition, early literacy including read aloud, and involvement of families in the process. Field experiences required.
- Describe the normal sequential stages of language acquisition and development and the relationship between language and literacy development.
- Utilize read aloud strategies with books including storytelling, poetry, puppets, felt boards and other creative ideas.
- Create developmentally appropriate language, literature, and literacy activities that incorporate literacy tools and heighten awareness of spoken and written language in culturally respectful environments.
- Demonstrate understanding through planning a developmental interwoven language arts program curriculum for early childhood that supports the development of the specific language and literacy child outcomes including listening and understanding, speaking and communicating, phonological awareness, book knowledge and appreciation, print awareness and concepts, early writing, and alphabet knowledge
- Discuss the ability to provide a supportive literacy environment by providing access to quality literature, centers, and library and book nooks.
- Explain the importance of developing and encouraging effective strategies for involving families in supporting language and literacy in young children.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 200,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
Attend class and learn onsite at one of over 20 locations in California.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.