Covers both theory and practical techniques used in ultrasonic inspections, set-up and calibration techniques of A-Scan presentations and effects of location, size, and shape of discontinuities,and flooded member, corrosion, and erosion inspection.
- Identify various types of welds and describe them using proper terminology.
- Describe and use welding and NDT symbols.
- Describe the theory of ultrasonic testing and its advantages and disadvantages.
- Describe and perform the various calculations used in ultrasonic testing.
- Describe and operate various types of equipment used in ultrasonic testing.
- Differentiate and explain the difference between straight beam and angle beam testing.
- Describe the modes of ultrasonic wave travel.
- Describe, explain and calculate transmitted, reflected and refracted ultrasonic sound waves
- Use straight beam ultrasonic testing to obtain material thicknesses and discriminate between laminations, erosion and corrosion.
- Explain and use of different transducers.
- Calibrate and operate various ultrasonic instruments.
- Demonstrate the ability to accurately map out discontinuities using ultrasonic testing.
- Evaluate test specimens using ultrasonic testing in accordance with various industry codes.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 175,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
75+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.