The field of healthcare is rapidly growing and modernizing, creating a tremendous demand for professionals with skills and knowledge in the application of healthcare information and technology. If you’d like to be one of those that apply digital information to advance healthcare and improve health, the Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI) will provide you with a sought-after graduate professional degree in the field. It will prepare you for mid-level and leadership positions within healthcare, technology, and consulting organizations, and ground you in the effective use of information technologies and systems to improve the healthcare ecosystem.
Coursework will encompass areas of information systems, information technology, and informatics, including decision support, care coordination, consumer empowerment, the structured language of healthcare, standards, health information exchange, usability, electronic health records, security, socio-technical aspects of health computing, human-computer interaction, evidence-based practice, and health outcomes.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate the healthcare delivery system in the US and the impact of social, cultural, political, economic, and environmental factors affecting the management and operation of healthcare organizations.
- Evaluate health data management standards, technologies and methods to improve the quality, efficiency, equity, and safety of healthcare practice and organization.
- Develop policies and technologies to protect data integrity and validity, including information privacy and security policies and procedures.
- Develop strategies for improving healthcare delivery and achieving institutional strategic initiatives using information systems and technologies.
- Evaluate leadership principles and practices in health information technology, staff development, technology adoption, and change management in a healthcare organization.
- Evaluate a healthcare organization’s processes and systems to ensure compliance with ethical, legal, and regulatory mandates and professional standards of health information technology.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services