This course will examine an integrative approach to Chinese medicine, provide an understanding of the history, fundamental concepts and theories as well as its philosophical and cultural basis. Diagnosis in Chinese medicine, acupuncture and Tui Na (therapeutic bodywork), will be explored. Traditional Chinese pharmacotherapy and Chinese dietetics will be described. Lastly, qi gong, tai ji quan, and areas for future research will be explored.
- Examine the history of Chinese medicine and medicine in modern China.
- Distinguish between the concepts of yin and yang, the five phases, and qi.
- Describe the acupuncture channels (meridians), the zang and fu organs, and the three causes of disease.
- Differentiate the four examinations, pattern diagnosis, and methods of treatment.
- Describe the therapeutic goals of acupuncture, moxibustion, and cupping.
- Differentiate the therapeutic techniques and the clinical application of tui na (therapeutic bodywork).
- Discuss the medicinal substances and medicinal properties of traditional Chinese pharmacotherapy.
- Compare Chinese medicinal formulas.
- Identify elements of Chinese dietetics.
- Examine the practice of qi gong.
- Discuss the characteristics and movement principles of Tai Ji Quan.
- Examine areas of future research in Chinese medicine.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services