Explores the physiologic aspect of human metabolism and its role in health and disease. The derivation of energy and nutrients from digestive and absorptive processes, and the synthesis and metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Describe the digestive and absorptive process by which starches, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids are degraded to simple constituents.
- Outline the process regulating the derivation of energy from digestion and absorption.
- Explain the synthesis,physiology and metabolism of lipids and lipoproteins.
- Outline the process of protein synthesis and catabolism.
- Analyze human case studies,and explain the causative biochemical imbalance and physiological response.
Recommended: Prior completion of
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services