Focus on the components of a coordinated school health program and the relationship between school-based health and community health programs. Components and effectiveness of exemplary programs: roles of parents, schools, the school nurse, and the community; and evidence-based strategies to improve children’s health will be explored.
- Identify the components of coordinated school-based health programs.
- Recall the historical perspective of school-based health programs.
- Analyze the role of the health educator in communicating, promoting, and advocating for a healthy school environment.
- Examine exemplary school-based health education and prevention programs.
- Discuss the role of parents, the school, the school nurse, teachers, and the community in development and administration of school-based health programs.
- Identify issues in school-based health programs including financing, types of services available, scope, and sequence of services, laws and regulations, location, and medical versus educational focus.
- Interpret health related data from various sources in examining the relationship between student health and academic learning.
- Evaluate educational, community, and web-based resources that can be used to teach and enhance health education learning with children and adolescents.
Complete readings and reading responses as assigned and participate in in-class and/or online discussions. Conduct an analysis of websites that could be used for teaching in a secondary school. Submit a written paper and give an oral presentation to share results with the class. Write an analysis paper critiquing a school-based health prevention / promotion program.
Recommended: Prior completion of
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services