Application of healthcare economics to decisions regarding the amount, organization, and distribution of healthcare services. Examine the structure, organization, activities, functions, and problems of healthcare from an economic perspective. Emphasis on management problems and policy issues in healthcare with regard to allocation of scarce resources.
- Explain the distinct characteristics of the healthcare system and how they affect the healthcare industry.
- Asses how uncertainty and asymmetric information affect demand for healthcare and lead to "incomplete" markets.
- Assess the value of health and its implications for decisions allocating scarce resources.
- Describe basic economic concepts, such as supply, demand, marginal analysis, theory of capital, and cost-benefit analysis.
- Apply economic tools and evaluation methods to improve decision making in healthcare.
- Evaluate how the healthcare sector interacts with other economic sectors and the effects of these interactions.
- Apply economic tools to assess implications of various healthcare financing and delivery models.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Health and Human Services
“Our faculty members are nationally recognized across a broad spectrum of health profession disciplines and prepare students for success in the ever-evolving health care field.”School of Health and Human Services