This course provides an in-depth look at the hardware components of a computer, with the focus on proper installation, security, and administration. Students learn to identify, install, and configure various computer components, as well as basic computer and configuration concepts. This course also provides students with an understanding of proper maintenance and support of various hardware components. In addition, students learn how hardware, applications, and operating systems work together. Network, mobile, and printer terminology, concepts, troubleshooting, and security fundamentals are also covered.
- Identify names, purpose, and characteristics of hardware components by sight or definition.
- Identify the names, purposes, and performance characteristics of standard peripheral ports, associated cabling, and their connectors.
- Differentiate between form factors for hardware compatibility.
- Explain the communication process between the user, hardware, and operating system.
- Explain proper procedures for installing and configuring common hardware components.
- Evaluate the considerations involved when upgrading computer hardware or the operation system.
- Recognize, troubleshoot, and resolve common problems associated with hardware components.
- Recognize common printer problems and the techniques used to resolve them.
- Identify network, mobile, and printer terminology, technologies, interfaces, and security options.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
School of Engineering and Computing
“The School of Engineering and Computing fosters student creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship in classes taught by subject matter experts who actively practice what they teach.”School of Engineering and Computing