Prepare for a career as a teacher of English in the middle and secondary school levels by earning a Bachelor of Arts in English with a Secondary Nevada License degree at National University. The BA program stresses literary analysis, diversity, and critical thinking and written and oral communication skills through a rich curriculum of literature, composition, language, linguistics, and communication studies.
This Bachelor of Arts in English Education With Nevada Secondary Licensure program prepares teacher candidates for entry into Nevada’s teaching profession as English teachers who will be dedicated to inspiring all K-12 learners by emphasizing social emotional thriving, meaningful academic achievement, and equitable and inclusive learning communities. The program and courses meet the Nevada Department of Education requirements for a for a Secondary Nevada License in English.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major periods and movements of British and American literary history.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the role of marginalized or oppositional voices in the evolution of the literary tradition and literary history.
- Demonstrate understanding of major critical approaches to the interpretation of literature.
- Demonstrate the ability to compose sophisticated written works of literary analysis, incorporating appropriate close reading, research, and writing skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of adolescent development in order to explain how to support growth in cognitive, social, physical, and emotional domains.
- Design, implement, and evaluate standards-based lesson plans for learning and achievement in content areas.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 165,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education