Gain a broad-based foundation in the liberal arts and sciences, as well as a fundamental knowledge of health education, in the Bachelor of Arts in Health Sciences with a focus on Inspired Teaching and Learning and a Preliminary Single Subject Credential.
This Bachelor of Heath Science program prepares you for a career in the teaching profession in California as a health science educators in middle and high school. You’ll become dedicated to inspiring all PK-12 learners by emphasizing social emotional-health thriving, meaningful academic achievement, and equitable and inclusive learning communities. The health science degree program and courses meet the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) requirements for a Preliminary Single Subjects Teaching Credential.
*Please note: Students need to satisfy/pass the Basic Skills Requirement (e.g., CBEST) and Subject Matter Competency Requirement (e.g., CSET) early (prior to Credential Area Methods coursework) into their programs to avoid interruptions to program progress and/or financial aid arrangements.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate grade level health education content domains.
- Describe the relationship of personal, family, school, community, cultural and environmental factors as related to health behavior and physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Identify cognitive, social, and physical characteristics, growth, and development of healthy adolescents, at-risk adolescents and those who have health problems.
- Examine components of research-based health education and health promotion programs/practices including coordinated school health programs.
- Analyze the role of mass media, technology and the Internet in promoting physical, mental and emotional health literacy and behaviors.
- Discuss the personal, social, and legal requirements and appropriate prevention and intervention strategies in providing a safe, inclusive school environment.
Why Choose National University?
We’re proud to be a veteran-founded, San Diego-based nonprofit. Since 1971, our mission has been to provide accessible, achievable higher education to adult learners. Today, we educate students from across the U.S. and around the globe, with over 150,000 alumni worldwide.
Focus on one subject at a time — one month at a time — and finish your degree faster.
100+ Degree Programs
Choose from associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, plus credentials and certificates.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Apply or transfer any time. Classes start monthly, and applications are accepted year round.
20+ Campus Locations
Attend class onsite at one of over 20 campus locations across California or in Nevada.
As a Yellow Ribbon school, we offer tuition discounts to servicemembers and dependents.
Sanford College of Education
“Our goal is to deliver high quality educator preparation programs that feature social-emotional learning and evolve inspiring professionals who have positive impact in PK-12 school settings.”Sanford College of Education